Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Choose your Path

Like I always say, if you're bored in SL, you're doing it wrong. So when I found myself without anything to do, I started looking through the Destination Guide for something I've not experienced. And wow, did I find it. The Path is an art installation that's meant to tell a story, in much the same way that my friend HindDiscerning and I do when we hang out in RL. Basically, eight SL artists got together, and each told a micro-moment of the story, in succession. Wandering through the installation, which is done by a series of teleports, I'm not sure I would have figured out there was a story if I wasn't told. But each installment was fascinating in its own way.


Each artist had a relatively small space to work with, but many managed to create a sense of depth and scale that I found breathtaking. Some sets, like the one above, were elegant in their simplicity, the bare-bones feel of the space made each object within it seem more significant. Other sets, like the one below, I found visually confusing, but the cacophony of color and shape created a mood of its own that suited the installation nicely.


It was also interesting to see which artists chose to make the viewer part of the work - in the set above and a couple of others, you had to get up and walk around, immersing yourself in the experience, in order to proceed. Others, like the first photo, you were in the middle of the set and yet apart from it, the art existed distinctly from you.


Even in that type of set, though, it was possible to find yourself suddenly engulfed by the image, a not entirely willing participant in the story. Perhaps it's because this recurring character was so intimidating the first time I ran across him, but I developed this idea of him as the villain with little to no evidence.

Anyway, if you haven't had a chance to check out The Path, I recommend it. Turn your sounds up, including ambient, and set yourself to the windlight settings they recommend in the land description. And have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment